Expectations of businesses and industries are changing very fast and therefore the conventional B Com programme should also change to cater to the changing needs. Conventional watertight compartmentalization of Arts / Commerce / Science is not going to offer the required skill sets to people to face the changing business environment.
Whether one is self-employed or having a job, only domain knowledge is not enough in today’s world. One needs to think out of the box, develop critical thinking, negotiation skills, an exposure to national and international events, and also an awareness of a varied aspects of society and culture.
Considering these factors Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce introduced Liberal Arts Programme in 2006. For this purpose, Symbiosis Centre for Liberal Arts was established. The ‘Liberal Arts’ programme was well received by the students as an ‘Add On’ diploma or certificate. This interdisciplinary component was then integrated into the ‘Degree with Honors Programme’ after the College received the Autonomous Status in 2012-13.
Taking a step forward on the same lines, the college has now started a new programme named B Com (Interdisciplinary). This program integrates some more courses offered by the ‘Centre for Liberal Arts’ into the main stream B Com programme.
By opting for this programme a student has an opportunity to differentiate himself in this competitive world. The college believes that this programme will lead to a holistic development of the student’s personality in the true sense, thus making him industry and profession ready.
- The B Com (Interdisciplinary) programme shall begin from First Year of Graduation
- A student of B Com (Interdisciplinary) will also be eligible for the Degree with Honours programme.
- However, the option of the B Com (Interdisciplinary) programme is not applicable to the students opting for B. Com Integrated ACCA or vice versa.
- The student pursuing the B Com (Interdisciplinary) Programme will have to take two courses per semester from the list of the courses offered by the Centre for Liberal Arts of our college. Thus, the student will take total 12 courses from the Centre for Liberal Arts in the entire span of 6 semesters of B Com degree programme. The student will choose these two papers from a wide range of subjects from varied fields, such as, music, art, sociology, psychology, literature, etc. All these papers will be of 3 credits.
- To facilitate this, the student will have the liberty to opt out of any two courses in each semester which are offered under the Regular B Com programme.
- Courses of specialisation will be compulsory and these courses cannot be opted out of.
- In this programme the student will graduate with the specialisation of one’s choice from the 5 options offered by the college at present, viz. Banking, Costing, Entrepreneurship, Human Resource Management and Marketing.
- The degree will be as B. Com (Interdisciplinary) – Specialisation (Marketing / Costing etc.) and B. Com Honours (Interdisciplinary) – Specialisation (Marketing / Costing etc.)
Gist of the Interdisciplinary courses offered
- Contemporary Global Politics :
- Why is USA still considered a superpower? What kind of world order would emerge in a post pandemic world? Will technology have an impact on political systems? If these questions are something to ponder on and get you interested then the course on Contemporary Global Politics seeks to do the same. In this course, we will explore the key events that have taken place in 20th and 21st century along with a basic understanding of what shapes a nations behavior in its external relations. The course also seeks to understand the basic evolution of 70 plus years of India’s foreign policy.
- Grasping the Mythos: Re- reading Indian Mythology :
- The Course establishes the Mythic as a paradigm- the experience of a people and their collective memory that shapes its value system, and is in turn shaped by it. It explores a morality of reason: the participatory reading is to reform the existing saturated meanings that may have a tendency to become dogmatic. Like poetry, Myth upholds the essential freedom of human spirit. It provides templates to think afresh and think anew about perennial human dilemmas, conflicts and existential conundrums.
- Sanskrit is very rich and divine language. Sanskrit is not only language of literature but also the language of Indian mathematics, management can be obtained through sanskrit texts. It plays an important role in interdisciplinary studies.
- Mentioning the Unmentionables:
- Human behavior is governed by many social factors such as affiliations, norms, practices, beliefs and actions. Societies have often shared values and standards which are recognized as acceptable norms for the members of the society to practice. Social norms play a key role in developing the patterns of human personality and behavior called socialization or humanization.
- Landmarks in Economic Thought and their Contemporary Relevance
- This course gives an overview of the major schools and landmarks in economic thought and policy and their relevance to contemporary issues. It helps to understand the living ideas of economists and the relevance of various schools of economic thought in current times and either find parallel solutions to the current economic problems or analyze how the world has moved on to different and unique ways of approaching and solving economic issues. It also looks at contemporary economic issues and policies at national and international levels.
- Yog: Theory and Practices
- Yoga is an ancient science that originated and developed in India. Its objective is to join body and mind, human and nature, and individual consciousness to universal consciousness. Learning and practising yoga improves strength, balance, flexibility, thus overall physical and mental health, and boosts immunity. It is beneficial for the students and young adults as it helps the mind to concentrate and focus. Unlike cardio exercises, yoga brings heart rate, respiration and pulse rate down and thereby relaxes and rejuvenates all the systems functioning in the body. This course includes learning of: principles of yoga, various asanas, Sun and Moon Salutations, Pranayama, Meditation and yogic relaxation techniques and purification processes.
- Anthropology is the study of what makes us human. They consider the past, through archaeology, to see how human groups lived hundreds or thousands of years ago and what was important to them. Such study allows us to better understand why people behave the way they do and how different groups have such amazing variety in their lifeways. It allows us to learn about diversity and respect the adaptability of man to the enormous variety of environments where people live.
- Literature and Gender:
- This course is designed for men and women students alike. The course is based on the premise that each one of us is born with a naturally strong, vibrant voice – which, through the process of socialization, loses much of its spontaneous and natural expressiveness. It analyzes the effect of gender on human imagination and consequently, the works of art such as Literature – which is the voice of collective consciousness.
- Supernatural in Literature
- The emphasis of the course is to analyse how the supernatural as depicted in literature, is reflective of the human condition. Cultures throughout places and time have developed stories about the supernatural dominion in order to contemplate on life, death and the universe.
- Introduction to Theatre and Performance
- It aims to impart basic knowledge and skills of theatre. Students will learn about the journey from story to script to performance. Practical work will take up a majority of the course. At the end of the course the students will create a short skit or a short solo / story-telling / poetry performance.
- Bollywood Music – A reflection
- The Bollywood music is not only part of music in Indian cinema. It is also embedded on the culture of the Indian people. The Bollywood music is divided in several genres such as the fantasy, devotional, mythological and historical. The language used in the Bollywood music is not always Hindi. It can feature English work, Bengali, Punjabi, Bhojpuri, Braj, Persian or Urdu words.
- Archaeology is the study of past human behavior through the systematic recovery and analysis of material remains or objects. Understanding patterns and changes in human behavior enhances our knowledge of the past. It aids us in planning, not only our future, but for generations to come. Archaeology is critical to understanding, protecting, and celebrating our rich and diverse cultural heritage.
- The Course focuses on speaking in Japanese as well as includes updates about current affairs in Japan. It consists of interactive sessions where students who are pursuing interdisciplinary education find it engaging as well as entertaining. The course will enable the students know about Japanese language script and learn about Japanese work culture and their mannerism. It will also help them to understand Japanese business manners and gain knowledge about Indo- Japanese relationship in terms of culture, trade, business.
- Cam’era (Photography)
- A course on Digital Photography that introduces and sharpens the latest skill about handling the camera and capturing stunning photographs. Knowing more about DSLR cameras and pampering your hobby which can at any point of time be a vocation is the power of photography skill. The course will comprise of theory as well as practical and even field work. It will help the students to understand the various photography techniques and various types of photography as – nature, still, event, model etc. Students will understand the proper usage of camera and also about professional photography.
- Bio Cultural Diversity and Sustainability:
- The course will enable the student to gain a sound understanding of the concepts of Biodiversity, Cultural Diversity, Conservation and Sustainability, with special emphasis on the Indian scenario and with case studies from around the world. The course will be taught in an interactive manner, merging academic training and short projects with intensive lectures, which will be taught by encouraging discussion. Students will be encouraged to design and carry out small theoretical projects to explore their ideas regarding the conservation of biological and cultural diversity and sustainable development.
- Unearthing Peer Therapy:
- The course attempts to inculcate a strong set of knowledge, attitudes and skills required to practice peer counseling in day to day life. The course will facilitate the process of self- development through self-analysis and understanding. It will train the students in using helping skills to effectively assist their peers facing issues. It will promote peer counseling by rendering specific counseling skills, attitudes and ethical practices.